Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

August 1st

I am not looking at anything to do with The Vanishing of Owen Taylor until then. It's the day after my birthday, and it's a Saturday, so I think I'm going to treat myself to a fine meal and some wine and celebrate a new beginning. Open myself to the reality that I will be in Buffalo for a long time to come and maybe work it into my writing in some way. Mine to Kill would work nicely here, with the major medical research going on and teaching hospitals. It wouldn't take much to change it, and then start sending it out. It's the closest script I have to being shot for under a million.

I've also connected with a man from Derry, N. Ireland. He lived through The Troubles and may be willing to help me with Place of Safety. I don't know if he's Catholic or Protestant, but I've let him know Brendan is just a boy who wants to live his life and cares nothing for religion or politics; to him they're two sides of the same coin, and both worthless. I have a bit when he's 12 years old, about to be 13, where he accuses a priest of wanting Catholics to be attacked because it would suit his ambitions. It doesn't go over well.

Anyway, in the next 6 weeks, I plan to finish a couple other projects, clearing my mind of OT so I can see it fresh. It's hard not reading the comments I've gotten, but I owe it to the story to be solid about this. I want it to be fantastic, not merely okay, and for that to happen I need space to rebuild my focus and find the best path to help the story sing.

It helps that I'm traveling, again, for the next 10 days. Jobs in Florida and New York City. I'd thought the latter had been postponed to after July 4th but no...it's been decided the 2000+ books and dozens of pieces of framed artwork need to be gone ASAP so they can sell the apartment. So away I go, but it's gonna cost in air fare...and hotel, getting one at this late date; my usual NYC places are booked solid.

Ah well, at least it gets me out of the house.

1 comment:

MAC said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! I can't wait to dive into Owen Taylor this week.