Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, June 1, 2015

Sunday, Sunday...

I printed out OT -- double-sided -- at work and now will go through it, one last time, to make it as close to complete as I can, right now. I chopped out one entire subplot because it was getting in the way. And I'm wondering if the last chapter is too brutal a note to have so close to the end. I softened it with a memory and set it up a bit more in the bulk of the book...but I guess I'll find out.

First lesson learned from this project? Do NOT write a mystery unless you have it worked out, already. Too damn many people will want to jump in and say, "Make me the killer!" While others will say, "That's ludicrous. Get a grip and make it me., idiot." Which makes it hard to figure out the right way to go.

I finally just simplified it...but even my simplification is probably too complex to work. Either I've done too much explaining or not enough...or both. You never know. I remember reading The Name of the Rose years and years ago and getting lost in it, sometimes. The life it built was fascinating enough for me to keep reading, but I'm still not sure I understand or accept the revelation of the mystery.

Maybe I should reread it.

No comments: