Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Another step...

OT is off to a new editor to see how it works. I doubt I'll hear anything for a few weeks, so I may shift myself to pushing the scripts I have or maybe even finishing a first draft of Underground Guy. I've got a stack of stories and projects I need to get to, so no telling.

OT took a lot of work, and I'm happy with how it's turned out. My only uncertainty, right now, is the opening three chapters. I think they draw the reader in but I honestly cannot tell. They've been a problem to some people and I could see why; I had way too much exposition in them, in the earlier drafts. So I got rid of 90% of it and focused on making this about Owen Taylor's disappearance.

I'm deliberately avoiding asking people who've already read the book or its predecessor so I can get a feel for how easy it is to follow. A lot of details are strung out across the entire story. I just hope they gel enough to explain why Jake and Tone are together.

I suppose I could work more on planning the books. That won't be easy. For the hard copies, I need to know how many pages it is in the correct format before I work up the covers. The e-copy isn't so difficult that way, but it does have its own demands.

It's not like I can do anything much, right now. I'm broke and my Visa and Mastercard are maxed out, thanks to entering screenplay competitions and buying seminars and posting scripts on InkTip. My Amex is being taken away from me, not due to anything I did but because Jet Blue wants to partner with Mastercard instead and I got the card when I joined their TruBlue program. This is going to be interesting. I'm being sent a card I don't want to replace one I do want, and being told the one I want I can't have.

That's American capitalism today.

No comments: