Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Grrr...growl..

I'm in a foul mood and tired as hell from driving all day. The truck I'm in shared every damned bump in the road with me, even as it sucked down gas and was so noisy, I couldn't play my CDs. Even with my earbuds, it was harsh. So I drove in a noisy world and tried to sort out things in my brain.

I'm back to being broke. After spending too damn much money on competitions and seminars and tools to make my books work and my scripts better...I cannot pay the taxes I owe and have increased my debt to where I will never get ahead. Plus my books aren't selling as well because they've been around for a while, and I have nothing ready to take over.

I also got shrugged off by two more competitions. I read one of the scripts that made the finalists in one of them, thanks to Talentville, and it's damed insulting. It's a feature but has dialogue that's at a 1980's TV level, and the premise is silly -- a dog that's never been trained is adopted by a family, trashes their home, then winds up winning a competition to help its new boy.

Obviously I have no idea what will sell in Hollywood or will even win competitions, anymore. Good writing obviously is not required. Another script I read that was written by a guy I know who is only barely literate...and it has won a couple of awards. This guy doesn't even know the difference between your and you're and such, but he's close to being produced.

I was consistently told that if a script is good, people will find it. I'm at the point of wondering if that's either an outright lie...or if there's a brutal truth in this non-stop rejection that I should finally be accepting. I've got seven more competitions to hear from; if I get nowhere with any of them, maybe it's time I stopped being so damned arrogant at how great my work is and accept the fact that I'm no good at writing screenplays that producers will buy or make.

In short, back away from the money pit.

No comments: