Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Page 84

Working along, now...having connected the beginning sections with some revolving around Brendan in 1968. This is mainly an effort to get a first draft done so I can start making the bits fit together and be right for the place and period, so I'm trying not to get too bogged down in detail. I already know I'll need to expand on events between February 1966 and the end of 1967, but that's for later.

The first 84 pages are also setting up a lot that happens later on, and I'm finding some foreshadowing popping in without me trying to add it. I stopped at the point where NICRA's march in Derry on 5 October 1968 was about to occur. I think that will probably wind up being 100 pages in, if not more, because that's when life starts intruding on Brendan's self-centered world. And I don't mean he's selfish or unaware; he just wants to live his life in peace, and not be ordered about by others who don't care what happens to him. Even at the age of 12.

At the same time, I'm building up a full, fresh list of the characters named in the story and what happens where, so it's slowing me down. But it's also helped me avoid having one bit take place at the wrong time of year. And the description of the streets one character heads down is feeling too abbreviated for reality, so I've noted it and will return, later, to make certain of it.

This story is taking all my time. I hoped to be further along by this point, but it is what it is. I already figure if I have a full first draft done by the end of the year, I'l be doing good. It's better than I've done, so far...and that's with me finally realizing I have maybe 40% of the story actually written, not 2/3 like I'd thought. It's the details and the cross-referencing that are expanding it and making it clear how much more is needed.

War & Peace has nearly 600,000 words in it; I seriously hope Place of Safety is not out to surpass that.

No comments: