Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Workin' it, again...

I'm still having Facebook fights with gun apologists, but only because I'm using Facebook to research P/S and don't feel like ignoring them. This whole situation in Orlando is too much like what went on for decades in Northern Ireland, with people being slaughtered for who they were by both sides, and those assholes (as well as the motherfuckers in DC who voted down gun restrictions) want to keep it going.

The newest thing is, Democrats are completely at fault and don't want to go through the trouble of changing the 2nd Amendment. That's on top of them repeating the GOP's and NRA's talking points about linking due process to gun control. The amendment doesn't need changing; it just needs to be paid attention to. All of it. Like the part that says the militia should be well-regulated, and the Supreme Court agreed in 2010. And due process means following the law and not subverting it when dealing with the accused. How that gets mingled in with closing loopholes in a law that's already on the books is beyond me.

Anyway, what this non-stop back and forth did was inadvertently lead me to a Facebook page celebrating Derry as it used to be. I don't remember exactly how I found it, but I damn well bookmarked it. It's got lovely photos of the city from the 60s but even better, people are commenting on them. People who lived there. "Remember this fish and chip shop, where you could take in a bowl and get it filled with chips (french fries) for a shilling?" And "There was a shop around this corner where you could buy records that had been used in jukeboxes for 99p..."

Oh, I know what it was -- I was digging deeper into living conditions on Nailors Row, where Brendan's family lives. The houses at the upper end weren't torn down till as late as 1972, and they had small, enclosed back yards...and I wanted to know what the yards were called. So In input Nailors Row, Derry in the Facebook search instead of into Google, by mistake...and that hopped up.

I then spent several hours digging through and saving the photos and comments as I hopped back and forth with my own Facebook page. I'm transferring them straight into a Word doc to make sure the notes stay with the images, only it's a slow process. I started to get a bit crazed when I was about 2/3 of the way through it, so I'll take it up, tomorrow.
But I did find this lovely image of the street before and after it was demolished. The gray houses and monument were as it was probably about 1960. The green in front of the houses is the open, grassy embankment that's there now. Unfortunately, it's missing the 3 Rossville Towers in the background, which is where Bloody Sunday occurred and were torn down in the late 80s. They were public housing put up when it was thought high-rises could make living conditions better instead of worse. It's nicer, now...well, the last time I was there...jeez...ten years ago.

And there's so much to do, still...

No comments: