Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Almost an oops...

The good thing about going through PS and noting characters and places and happenings is sometimes it makes you double-check things. Which I did for Brendan's journey home. And found that he can't get there by air...at least, it doesn't seem like it. I knew Avian Air was flying from Dublin to Derry but it turns out they didn't get everything finally set up, with massive government subsidies, until early 1982. That's too late; Brendan needs to return about the middle of April 1981.

But that's what this is for...to make sure the book is as accurate as possible before I start asking people who lived through that time to give me feedback. I'm still freaked out at what I'm trying to do, but I'm doing it, dammit. I'm flying to Derry on the 30th to arrive on the 31st. Then I'm headed back to Buffalo on the 4th. That only gives me two full days -- Thursday, and Friday, with me returning to Dublin on Saturday to leave on a morning flight Sunday -- but I can't afford more.

So no sight-seeing. Library and museums, only, and extra money for taxis to get around faster. The city's been changed so much from that time period, thanks to redevelopment, dealing with the old areas would seem pointless. I may see about getting a car for a day to drive to Claudy instead of taking the time to walk. Or maybe there's a bus...I'll have to check.
That Facebook page is also still helping me with how things were in Derry, when Brendan lived there and when he returns. Things commenters say about photos being posted and the way they say them. I've barely tried to get a conversation going with them...but can do more of that when I return. If they'll let me.

Still so much to go...

No comments: