Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, November 3, 2017

Not quite...

I've been playing with sketches of the cover layout for A65, and it's not quite coming together. It's nice enough...but could be better. I'm missing an element that will make it sit well with the story. What that is, I have yet to figure out. I've got it for OT and LD. Same for PM and RIHC6. But...I only did adequate covers for BC and HTRASG, while the one for DM suits it but doesn't excite, and the one I did for French Connection Blues was too busy.

I'm not going to worry about it. The cover will come to me, and when it does, I'll do everything I can to make it look right. It's probably not smart to start on the jacket now, anyway, because I am doing another draft of the story. The bits I've reread are in need of smoothing over and maybe a bit of expansion, so even though I'm around 65K it may wind up a bit larger than that and I want to get the right size of everything.

I also want the story to hold together, all the way through. I want everything to connect and be real while not being obvious, and I think I got a bit carried away with being careful about covering all possible questions to the point the story becomes awkward, at times.

I'm also cutting a bit more -- specifically lines that I like but are just too Hollywood cute. Vincent has one near the end that worked well in the screenplay but is intrusive in the book, so it's going out.

Also, some of my sentence construction could be better, as could my paragraphs. I'm only adequate when it comes to English grammar, relying a lot on how good it feels and not nearly enough on if it gets across its meaning correctly. I'm going to work on that, as well. Clean clarity is what I want, and I'm still too prone to fussy.

So...maybe I'll get the book done by the end of the year.

No comments: