Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Away too long

I got too focused on the storyboards and trying to make them work and just blew off both my blog and my journal. Here I planned to write in both of them every day and the first major project I get I shrug and say, "Later." How irritating of me, and how typical. I will definitely keep them up while on my packing job since that will have normal hours, and they'll help me gear up for doing work on RIHC6v2 the evenings I'm in the hotel. I want to get it finished before the end of February...which is within the realm of possibility.

I got the latest version of section 2 of the storyboards off, yesterday, and even sent my raw, unflattened Photoshop files to them so they can tweak them further. Which they will; apparently there was some major miscommunication between me and Kasey, and I thought (after asking her more than once) that I was limited to just one font for the text. That was a huge part of the problem -- me trying to replicate a heavy-duty graphics-motion verbal style with just nothing but nice light Trajan Pro; it never really worked and added to the tediousness of the project. Finally, there was this one section where I just could not seem to get across what Kasey wanted, so she handed it off to another guy. He used this huge mishmash of fonts and colors and sizes and styles and she liked that. Meaning if I'd dug deeper into what she wanted or fought her on the use of just one font -- or just ignored her instructions about it completely and done what I wanted -- I'd have had this finished weeks ago. At least, that's what I tell myself; you never really know. I guess the lesson is...shit, it doesn't matter what the lesson is. I won't pay it any attention the next time I get into this situation. Look at what happened with "Kerosene Cowboys" a year ago -- the same stupid thing, and just as I was gearing up to move to SA.

Hmmm...seems the only way I get major paying projects, lately, is if I'm changing locations for my life. Talk about a career move.

Anyway...I'll still have section 3 to go through once I get back, but now that I know I can use any font and style I choose, I should have an easier time of it (fingers and eyes crossed here). Besides, work on section 3 can only last so long; I have to get ready for Buffalo.

No comments: