Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sleeping late is great

So long as you don't miss the breakfast that's part of your room. I made it downstairs to feed about five minutes before they shut it down. Had salty eggs, fake bacon, reheated biscuits and apple juice. And felt very faux-luxurious. Now I'm packed and ready to head for the airport.

The only truly sour note was, I had a hard time shutting down my brain, last night, and getting to sleep. That happens when I get too carried away with my writing. I've found if I do 5-8 pages a day, I can release the thought process; doing more than that kicks me into overdrive and takes me hours to slow back down. And that's not necessarily a good thing, because normally my best work is those first pages and the rest needs a LOT of redoing. I haven't read what I wrote, last night, and I don't think I will till I'm farther along in the story. It fills the space it needs to, at the moment, and expands my sense of accomplishment.

So it's getting close to checkout time and I've got a 40 mile drive to the airport. Guess I'd better head. My plane's stopping in Little Rock. Never been there. Not even to the airport. Never wanted to. Now? Now I'm hoping Hilary runs against Obama in 2012 and takes the White House from the little weasel. We need somebody with balls in the Oval Office, not a college professor who only wants to grade papers.

No comments: