Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Soon will be done

I'll finish the book packing, tomorrow, and load them onto the truck Friday morning -- in what may well be a snowstorm, if you listen to the weather report, so I may not be able to do any real sightseeing done even if I do finish the job early. I was planning to drop back to Baltimore and check out some Edgar Allen Poe sites recommended by my buddy, Brad, or even swing into DC and just look around since I've never been there (I know, I know, sacrilege for an American). But it all depends on the weather. I'm not all that worried about driving in snow -- I did that in Detroit and didn't kill anybody...that I know of -- but I've got small car, this time, and the area's traffic is intense. While driving back to the hotel, this evening, I noticed wave after wave of cars along the 28, rushing the opposite direction in this nonstop river of headlights. I'd left early to go buy some packing tape so caught the evening crush, and the hills and curves in the road gave me a solid view of oncoming vehicles...and the feeling was a bit surreal. Like I was watching something on a computer and not in life. And it was really quite lovely.

I'm having fun with RIHC6v2. It starts out with my main character, Antony, in a monster of a jam where I could not figure out how to extricate him without complete rewriting the opening...and then I thought about one of my gay-erotica fans in Florida and realized he was the perfect way to crack the problem. Not planning to say a thing more about this, yet...but if he does buy the book, I hope he likes what I do with his character.

I learned the author who writes the "Mark Julian, Vampire Detective" series puts the bartenders and waiters of his favorite gay bar in his books...and that gets him free drinks. Clever little sneak. Wish I'd thought about it. Of course, I'd have to have a favorite gay bar to go to...which I don't in San Antonio...nor did I in West Hollywood...so I guess it'd be a moot point.

No comments: