Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Stuck in Nashville

My flight to Buffalo got canceled in Nashville and I got put on another flight to my connection in Baltimore that will get me in 5 minutes too late to make that connection so I'll have a 3 hour layover there and won't arrive till nearly 10pm. The joys of modern air travel. I will say it's the first time this has happened to me on Southwest, (tho' once a flight I was booked on ran 2 hours late when I was returning to LA from SA) but it wasn't handled well. I was sent to the other end of the airport to set up my new itinerary then wound up being sent right back to the gate I'd come from. And my decent-enough boarding position got bumped back to next to last on the plane, so even if my original connection is running ten minutes late, I won't make it unless I luck out with a seat in the very front. What complicates things further is, none of the seats set up for laptop connections have plugs ANYWHERE in the Southwest area of this airport. I'm feeding off a wall plug at a gate halfway back to the gate I was sent to to get my flight changed. Got my 2 mile walk in, today, while carrying a laptop and bag of clothing that wasn't enough for even my small wheeled baggage. We are not liking Nashville. Hopefully Baltimore will be a better time spent.

I finally got a solid indication that if Caladex and I come to terms and I go for this job, it means moving to Buffalo. Which might prove interesting. Kasey's from there and she points out Toronto's not far away. Nor is the Shaw Festival that's held outside Toronto, which I learned about in Detroit. Thing is, Buffalo's a redneck town, as she puts it. She suggested I become a dual citizen of Canada and the US and I looked into it...and it doesn't seem to be that hard to do. I can apply for citizenship with Canada and if accepted not have to renounce my American citizenship. That would make me eligible to try out for Canadian writing jobs...and if things get too crazy in the US...which the GOP and Right-wing-nuts seem intent on making happen...it gives me a place to relocate to. Something to investigate further, especially since Canada has special treaties with Ireland allowing cross-employment in the film biz.

I'm almost back to normal after that push to get the storyboards done. Kasey loved them and is very happy; the client wants to change things. Typical.

No comments: