Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Brendan's still sulking

And I'm depressed. I get like that after stumbles like the one, yesterday.

Tomorrow I'm making a quick trip down to Washington DC and back, just to check out the American Library Association's convention. My company is trying to figure out ways of increasing business with them and I'm at the forefront of research on it. Today I spent working on an article about the best way to pack antiquarian books for storage or transport from one city to another, along with illustrations. I e-spoke with a woman in charge of a rare book journal affiliated with the ALA and she likes the idea. In fact, she wants me to include art and maps, too...both of which I've worked with. So I have the research and about 1500 words worked out along with 10 preliminary sketches. Needless to say, it was NOT busy at the job.

What this means is, no writing done till Sunday...unless I try to do it on the plane, again. That didn't work so well, the last time. I dunno, maybe I was doing too good the last week, as regards POS, and had to trip myself up in some way to keep from getting too big a head on my shoulders.

BTW, it seems the GOP in Texas has finally revealed itself for what it truly is -- the new Puritans. Their platform calls for making all sodomy illegal (even that between husband and wife), repealing no-fault divorce and a myriad of other nonsense straight out of Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter." And there are still idiots in that state who support them. Another reason to stay the hell away...or go back to fight the madness. Hell,I don't know.

The whole country's in a mess. Even New York has a candidate for governor who's forwarded racist e-mails and claims the current governor, David (?) Patterson, a black man who has extremely restricted vision, is a junkie because he once said he tried cocaine...and do you think that candidate's the least bit sorry for saying or doing those things? Hell, no.

Jesus, it's like the right wing has been struck blind to how they come across to people. I used to think that'd be a good thing...until I saw how many idiots are still willing to follow them straight off the cliff, just like lemmings. And thanks to our morally bankrupt news media, they'll gladly take the whole country with them.

No comments: