Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Duhh...

Today was one of those days built to make you feel dumb as a stump. Especially as regards freight forwarding. Things that make sense on the surface are the wrong thing to do, and once the logic is explained to you...you can sort of see it but it still seems contrary, even though it supposedly isn't. Then technology jumps in to make you feel even dumber. Information I input into the system we use to build shipping documents has become locked in place and I can't make any of the changes I need to, even though I'm following all the guidelines. I spent hours on it and nothing happened. Meaning I'll probably have to start from scratch and re-enter everything. It's enough to make you think you've lost your mind.

Which is not beyond the realm of possibility with me. Hell, I may be entering the early stages of Alzheimer's, I feel so out of it, sometimes, when it comes to this job. And I know one of the people I'm working for is not happy with my progress or lack thereof. I may wind up back in SA working in a convenience store, and gladly.

But when I'm good at something, I excel. A possible job came up meaning travel to Lisbon to pack a library and I had a quote for that done in fifteen minutes, including finding a Staples Office Supply to buy materials from in the center of the city. I've updated the website with the latest upcoming book fair information and another book fair from a vague reference that it ends on November 7th in New York City. I just seem incapable of the tight, intensive detail work that this job demands, and it's eating at my minimal self-confidence.

Couldn't even face POS last night, and I've already had a beer with dinner, so I doubt I'll get anything done tonight. I'm going to watch a movie. I went for months without seeing one; maybe this is me catching up.

No comments: