Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Making up for lost mind

My goal has been to write 2000 words per day on POS, but yesterday came up zeroes, so today I did more than 3000 and tomorrow will make up the difference. Right now I'm at 90,000 spread over 409 pages. There's a lot of fat in this and still some repetition, but it's getting there.


Part of yesterday's chaos extended from an argument I got into on a blog I used to follow. I say "used to follow" because the blogger banned me from it. It dealt with this photo of a Brazilian kid who's wearing a Star of David around his neck. Seems the blogger couldn't really believe this kid might be Jewish, apparently ignorant of the fact that there are many large Jewish communities throughout South America, and his commentary was touched with more than a little anti-Semitism.

He's done this before and I've called him on it before, but this time things escalated. Seems that liberal lefties don't like being considered anti-Semitic (as well as another word that isn't anywhere near as nasty as I could have used), even as they blast Israel for trying to defend herself and blame her for the mess in the Middle East. I don't say everything Israel does is right or decent or correct -- the Knesset seems to be run more and more by right wing religious freaks, Netanyahu is proving to be as big a catastrophe for the state as Bush was for the US, and let's not forget Ariel Sharon -- but I don't think the Palestinians are blameless in this mess; far from it.

What made this really nasty was, the SOB then posted my e-mail address on his site, and I've gotten some vicious messages from people accusing me of being a fake liberal and a right wing nut, to paraphrase some of the nicer comments. I had to block anyone who's not listed as okay on that address to keep them from coming in, which seems to have stopped it...but I honestly don't know; I'm not the most tech-savvy of people and may only have messed it up for people who have legitimate reasons to get hold of me. So much for internet etiquette.

What's sad is, that blogger and I agreed on just about everything else -- politics, the economy, social services, etc. But apparently he's one of those twits who thinks you have to see things 100% his way (I have a sister like that, who gets upset if you don't accept her opinion). Well...I guess this is part of the brave new world. I just think it's really sad.

1 comment:

Brad Rushing said...

I have mixed feelings. I was hoping you'd written something more on your blog today, so was very pleased to find this new entry.

But your former associate sounds like a right bastard and I'm awfully sorry for you that the turd published your email address. What an "arsehole" as Brendan would say.