Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Slippery slope

I'm sort of caught in a malaise that seems unwilling to do anything but sit there and wonder if it should lead me down to a funk and maybe even depression. I'd rather it just get lost and let me get back to writing, but who knows where I'll go, these days? I'm fine for a bit then into avoidance for a bit then lazy for a bit then bored for a bit then down for a bit then up and back to writing...and this merry-go-round just don't stop.

So I did some reading on POS last night, no writing. And that was after I watched Guy Ritchie's version of "Sherlock Holmes" -- which I actually enjoyed. Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. make a cute couple, and Downey's comments that Homes and Watson were gay makes a lot of sense considering their interplay in an "Odd Couple" mode.

I think the reason I'm mixing my malaise with avoidance -- not a cool way to blend your mind and emotion -- is I don't know how to get into this thing that's come up between Brendan and the waitress. The bad romance angle that wants to join with everything else and is unable to find its entry point. The way it's setting itself up, right now, is like it's coming out of nowhere...and I don't like that. But I can't think of any other way to join it to Brendan's life.

So I sit. And wait for my subconscious to find the way. I'd contemplate my navel if it didn't give me such a crick in the neck.

No comments: