Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Drained

I spent the day working on my article for "The Journal of Rare Books and Manuscripts" -- all about how to properly pack books, maps and art for storage or shipping, illustrations (by me) included -- so I have nothing to dig into now I'm ready to work on POS. But then again, I got so much done this weekend, I may have sapped my brain too much by that, as well. After all, how much creativity is needed to discuss how best to tape up a box and lay in bubble-wrap?

I printed up the parts of POS I was working on -- 60 pages worth. I find having an actual sheet of paper in front of me and a red pen in hand helps me find errors and typos more easily. Anyway, it was a lot more than I thought, so I'm not surprised I'm a bit blank, right now. There are still some bits missing and I think for the link between two bits to work, I'll need to change an aspect of what happens in...well, I don't want to give it away, yet. Maybe not till the novel's in printed form.

Tomorrow night will be taken up with getting ready for my drive down to NYC -- yes, drive. I'm renting an SUV and taking some boxes with me. It's just under 400 miles and I need to be there by 4:30 so it'll be a bit of a rush to get off Wednesday morning. This'll be interesting. The only time I ever drove in NYC before was 30 years ago and after midnight, when the streets weren't so messed up.

Man...that was not a nice time for me. One of the few occasions in my life where I became a full-fledged asshole. I know WHY...but explanations don't excuse my brutally selfish actions,and they cost me a good friend. What's worse is, it took me years to realize just how badly I'd acted. Not very reflective of me. 'Nuff said.

I won't get much writing done while I'm there. I'll only have Wednesday and Thursday evenings to check out the city, so POS gets put aside till Saturday...which may not be a bad thing. It'll give me time to recharge my creative batteries.

No comments: