Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ich bin Kindle...

Meaning a few of my books have been offered on Kindle and, apparently, are selling well. At a discount. HTRASG, PM and BC-1, so far. I'm not sure how I feel about my work being so electronically disposable, but it's not like I'm not still available as a real honest-to-god book. It's just...bizarre to me.

But then, much of my life is bizarre, lately. For instance, I've never had travel trouble till the last six months, beginning when I was kicked out of my Paris plans by a volcano back on April...and now I'm facing a hurricane just at the time I'm ready to head back for Buffalo. Earl is expected to be in the Baltimore area about 2am on Saturday and I'm due to pass through just over 12 hours later. If it's bad, it means I won't change planes at BWI...so where could I go? Maybe I should check into that. Be proactive.

I will have a first draft of BC-3 completed by the end of September. I'm letting Allen lead the way on this one and he's begun to shift from being snarky and evil and bitchy to actually entering into a sort of dream state where he reveals more than he intends. I may still do an addendum of his writings...his erotic stories and lies about his encounters...but it's no longer necessary for those to be written in for him to work. He's begun to realize he will be treated with a measure of respect.

I think part of the reason he's open to letting his story be told is I'm working hard at making myself look forward to what I can still accomplish instead of looking back at all that I have NOT done. It ain't easy. I tend to be a very negative, suspicious, self-flagellating person aiming to become the John Wayne Gacy of curmudgeons. At least, on paper. In real life, I smile a lot and let things happen that I'm not crazy about but don't want to fight over. An interesting dichotomy. I guess we'll see how it goes.

But Simon Dexter may like it. His character has decided to shift to another book, one where he's the hot-shot-reporter-object-of-desire of a cute young groundskeeper for the Texas State Capitol Building and helps him ferret out a murder conspiracy, all in a "Nick and Nora Charles" style (and if I have to explain that, go catch a DVD of "The Thin Man" series; it's fun). New name? Noah Casterelli.

Forward, always forward...even when going sideways.

No comments: