Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Nice long drive...

Much of which took place along the Susquehanna River, and if ever a stretch of property needed to be refurbished, this is it. There is this beautiful, wide, shallow stretch of non-stop rapids and gentle meanderings that is so picturesque, it hurts. But you think you can find anyplace to stop and look out over it and contemplate the perfection of a natural wonder? Not along the 11/15. It's non-stop roadway where you're only supposed to go 55 but everyone goes 70 and there's a concrete barrier along the center of the road to separate traffic.

I finally stumbled upon this odd little parking area on the river side, but only by exiting the roadway to try and turn around...then noticing the entrance directly across four lanes of traffic, which you have to take your life in your hands to cross if you want to reach it. But I did. And parked. And followed a narrow dirt road curving a short way down to the riverbed. Apparently, it used to be a boat launch...but that'd have to be a shallow boat, because the water wasn't even a foot deep there.

I got pictures and will post them when I get home. Oh...and there are no signs telling you about that parking area or access to the river. I just got lead there by the fates.

I also had to cut across massive traffic to get back onto my route to Maryland...but this time my LA driving skills came in handy. I pulled across two lanes onto a yellow lined area along the median then waited for there to be enough space between the cars headed south for me to floor it and make that SUV peel rubber as I worked my way back into traffic.

This really is a shame. The whole Susquehanna Valley is so elegant...where it's not overbuilt by strip malls and slathered with traffic lights in the worst possible manner...one place where some very tight zoning would be a blessing.

No notes on POS, today. I think I'm still drained...wait...no, here comes one now.

No comments: