Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pissed off fates.

After today, I'm not discussing my travel plans online -- because they KEEP GETTING CHANGED. Now I'm heading back to Buffalo, tomorrow, to turn in the car and coming back next week to do the extra packing job. Which I'll be busting my ass to get done.

I'm also less than pleased with Best Western. I'm in the Best Western Presidential Hotel on W 48th Street near Times Square. They're bragging about a recent $15m renovation...and this hotel is styled to within an inch of its existence. Too bad they didn't spend some of that money on replacing the ACs. Mine wasn't working and it took 2 calls to the desk to get it even looked at, then another 45 minutes of the guy futzing around with it to get it to work. And it needs cleaning. I'm sneezing like crazy, thanks to it. Nice choice -- roasting or sinus trouble.

On top of it, the WiFi wouldn't connect till I'd made two calls to THAT service center...and it's REALLY slow. I was going to stay here Friday night, when I come down to visit with a couple friends coming into town. I think I'll stay at the La Quinta.

I'm whining. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just jinxed as a traveller. When I did this on my own as a freelancer, I didn't have this much trouble. It's irritating...and deadening to my love of travel. Since I can't find a laundry in the immediate area, I actually washed some clothes in the bathtub. I didn't have enough for the extra day I'm here.

I can't think about writing, right now. I seem lost in weariness and more than a bit of malaise verging on stupor.

No comments: