Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"Crazy Is"

Shifting slightly in tone and timbre, to my surprise.  I had a bit of a narrative prologue to set up the story, but that changed to all dialog, too, and suddenly it's not just a scream, anymore, but a keening and a siren's call and a whisper in the shadows.  I'm up over 4300 words with no real structure for to what's coming out.  It's so much like the back and forth between two people who don't trust each other, one of whom is being duplicitous as the other shifts his stance every few moments to reflect his distrust of his partner in this dance.  They don't even have names, so far, nor do they seem to want them.  Very odd, for me.

Thinking about it, I don't even have an image of how they look in my head.  Both are like quick, indicative sketches that maneuver about each other in ways that seem human but only barely.  I wonder what I'm saying here, not having the distinction of observation?  I wonder if the whole point is that it should be like you're in a restaurant and you overheard two people talking at a nearby table but you have no concept of what they mean or intend even as the conversation grows deeper and more intense and a bit scary.  You can't see whose voices they are; your vision is obscured.  And it takes everything you have to figure out what is really happening even as you think, "I shouldn't be listening in on this; it's impolite."

I wonder if this story is being told by ghosts...

No comments: