Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Is 270 pages self-indulgent?

That's how long LD is now.  It's closer to what the publisher would want but my thought initially was to keep the story down around 240 pages.  However, I seem incapable of working it lean and mean like a well-oiled machine...because my characters' lives are not like that, so why should their stories be?

So...I still have the epilogue to get proofed and feedback on.  And I'm still waiting for another guy to give me his reaction to the story.  Then while I'm in Birmingham I think I'll do corrections to a printed version...well, not corrections so much as a last polish to make sure it all fits together.

I'd really like to have some other friends of mine read it and give me their reactions, but they take forever to get around to things like this and I can't get seriously started on POS till this is done and gone.  So we'll see what happens.

I also have some tapes being sent to me by the guy I did a rewrite of a screenplay for.  He's finally realized he needs to turn his script into a book (since it's based on his own experiences with the NYPD in the late 60's and early 70's).  I told his story in a non-linear fashion, hoping it would get interest in it, but nothing much happened.  He's probably right to do it that way, but I don't know if I'm the right guy for it.  Still, he hasn't got anybody else.  So maybe once I'm done with POS I'll give his story a whirl, just to see how it turns out.  He's got WAY more going on in his story than LD does...though nowhere near as much as POS.

I'm off tomorrow after a non-stop week.  I'm ready to sleep in.  Fact is, I hate to get up before 10am.  Very much a night owl and always have been.  To me, eggs over easy and hash-browns slathered with Tobasco at two in the morning is just right.

No comments: