Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Took the day off

Since I'll be working two weeks straight.  And I want to get some other things completed -- including "Lyons' Den."  Seems I have a publisher sort-of interested.  They prefer books of more than 60,000 words (big shock to me since they don't bother telling you that till you submit a query) but they're open to considering it because I sold my novella to them.  So I want to get the book off before they lose interest.  They still may not go for it...but it's promising.  One big caveat -- "The Lyons' Den" wouldn't come out till Spring of 2012...a year from now.

I spoke with my current publisher at length, Tuesday, and it's still all promises and lots of projects in the works, and it's never been a question of IF I'll get paid for my work with him and my books' sales but WHEN.  His words.  BUT...as usual, it all depends upon the kindness of others.  It's really too bad because I like the guy; I just can't rely on him.

Of course, this other publisher wouldn't be right for "Place of Safety", either (that's really more of a mainline publishing book) but it would work for "Coby O' and the Pink Palace of Texas" when I get that story written.  I caught the weirdest idea of having Coby's 50 year-old bi-lingual Macaw be the narrator.  That might actually be fun.

I just listened to the loveliest melody on KCRW (streaming it via my computer) -- a remix of "Fail Forever" by a Danish band called "When Saints Go Machine".  It has this heartbreakingly beautiful instrumental lead-in that sounds like a mix between a sitar and one of those Japanese string instruments (can't think of what they're called) that are used in No Theater.  But it's so...so elegant, it hurts.

Now off to do battle with the story.  No...I'm past the battle phase.  Now we're into mutual cooperation geared towards amplifying the excellent in Daniel's experiences rather than the second-rate.

Perfection -- c'est moi.  (You now have permission to laugh.)

No comments: