Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Paperwork day

Sorting out bills and working on crap.  I also need to find my car's title if I want to register it in NY and it's not where I thought it would be.  So...comes a search for that.  What fun.  The one positive is, I cut my boxes of papers by a third before I left San Antonio so I don't have as many to go through, but those are still a mess.  I never was good at organization.

I've also spoken with my mother and she's not doing so hot, again.  Always tired and dizzy.  My little brother does what he can and my sister is there to help when she has time (but considering she has a full-time job and lives 35 miles away from mom, it's hard for her to do a huge amount).  My younger brother has not called mom once since she got out of the hospital, and mom doesn't want to call him for help, even though she could use it.

The situation bothers me but I have no prospects for a decent job in SA, plain and simple.  This one is barely adequate, and they whined when I said I was following our initial agreement and raising my rate.  So I don't know what to do about it.  If I quit and go back to Texas, I'll have to go bankrupt, cancel my health insurance and return to living in the dining room, again.  If I don't, my mother struggles along with what help she can get from my little brother and sister until she winds up in a nursing home.  Nice choice.

Don't get me wrong -- I don't blame my little brother and sister for this; they're doing everything they can.  And truth be told, my younger brother is just doing what he did before with his father, so no surprises there.  I guess the only way this will work out positively is if I wind the lottery and can live off that till I'm eligible for Social Security.  That or "The Lyons' Den" gets snapped up by Random House and sells a million copies.  I could live with either.

No comments: