Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Devil in the Details

I'm not crazy about the contract I was sent for LD.  It's not bad...but they want the right to change my work without my permission and if I sign this thing, the only way I can tell them not to is to kill the deal.  So I've asked them to change that part of the contract...and we'll see how that goes over.

A bigger problem may stem from how they want it set up for final submission.  The story's just about 60,000 words long which works fine for most novels...but they want it to be a 200-280 pages in this particular format, and when I switched it to that format, it came out at 147, including the title page.  Not great.

You see, I just plain do not want to add anything to the story.  It'll come across as padding and will throw the whole rhythm of the piece off.  So...unless these two issues can be resolved, I may have jumped the gun in thinking I was getting published by someone more mainstream.  And I'm at that stage of life where I ain't compromising.  Been there.  Tried that.  All you wind up with is crap, and that does nobody any good.

So I took a walk and wrote some on "Hunter"...actually, just went through and reworked some of what I'd already done before adding a bit more...and I now see what the story is about.  And why it's doing what it's doing.  This is going to be closer in temperament to "How To rape A Straight Guy" than anything else I've done, since.  But at least Vermin's being both funny and scary while Hunter, himself, though trying to prove he knows what he's doing...and not succeeding very well...is rearranging his world, a bit, and getting kookily paranoid as the story goes along.

35 pages...8000+ words...and it's just getting going.  Another marathon.  At least my brain's getting a workout.

No comments: