Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pricey Broadway

Damn, tickets to Broadway shows are ridiculous, even when discounted.  $75 for something OFF-Broadway, even?  And none of the shows really interested me enough to even consider shelling out six or seven times the price of a movie ticket to sit near the back and listen to tiny people on a stage yell at me.  But then, I've never been all that much into plays; I guess it's just not part of my temperament.

So maybe I'll go see some indie films while I'm down there over 4th of July weekend.  That city does get everything in the way of movies that are released.  Plus it won't be as long-term a commitment, just two hours instead of nearly 3 and not starting till after 8pm.

I discussed the contract with Star Books Press and they allayed my concerns to an extent, so I signed the contract and will send it to them tomorrow since my scanner isn't willing to scan.  Probably because I don't have it connected for that, for some dumb reason, and can't find the cable for it.  I can print so I thought that was all I needed.  Wrong.  I be no tech savvy.

"Hunter" has settled into purr mode, sitting in a window full of sun and letting me scratch its ears as the story unfolds in this appallingly brutal fashion.  It helps to have an idea of where events are heading, and about halfway through the story things will shift, dramatically.  But don't anyone think I'm doing one of those infamous shifts like "Dallas" did with Bobby suddenly appearing in the shower after a year of everyone thinking he was dead, and the previous year turning out to have been just his wife's nightmare.  That was dumb.

Of course, what this story is headed for may be just as dumb, I don't know.  I guess I'll find out when it happens.  And I got a feeling if I like it, I won't care if it DOES seem dumb.

It's my story and I can screw-it-up if I want to...and that doesn't even begin to fit the rhythm of the song I'm paraphrasing.  Hmph...me be no singer, either.

No comments: