Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Distractions galore

I watched the Tony Awards, tonight, and I'm in love with Neil Patrick Harris.  He can do everything -- sing, dance, act, rap -- and still look cool, calm and collected...even when he jumbles the lyrics.  If he won't marry me, maybe I'll chase after Daniel Radcliffe, he's so adorable.  I'm glad Frances McDormand won because her speech was funny, but I really wanted Vanessa to.

I don't really know what the plays were -- except for "Normal Heart"; I've read that one.  And I'm familiar with "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" and "Brief Encounter" because I've seen the movies...but something about the staging just doesn't work in my head, for those two.  I guess because I loved the cinema versions and can't see them working properly on a stage and the bits I saw looked like bastardizations of both formats.  It was the same for "La Cage Aux Folles," which was a play before it was a movie before it was a musical...though I may just go ahead and see it over the 4th of July weekend to see if I'm wrong, if I can afford tickets.

"Hunter" is coming along...and messing with me.  What initially looked like a very dark, disturbing story of erotica has taken a twist I wasn't expecting...and don't know how I feel about. But it's that very fear that's making me think I ought to just take the leap and let it run.  Who am I kidding?  I've finally caught on to the fact that I HAVE to let it run; otherwise things get really nasty.

The lead character, Hunter, is still disturbing, as is his cohort, Vermin.  I have images for them but I'm not going to post them, this time.  I halfway think that casts something of a jinx on the story and I want this one to be done ASAP.  I'm already close to 8000 words and can easily figure it being 7 times that many long.  It'll be interesting to see if I can pull this off and not alienate my few fans.

So...you know that feeling you have when you're on a roller-coaster and it's near the top of the first drop and you're trying not to scream before everyone else on the damned thing and the edge is getting closer and closer and closer and closer and closer....?

Too late; I'm on the downhill slide!  AAAAAAIAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

No comments: