Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, June 27, 2011

My aching back

Man, I did more walking yesterday than I have in a long time, my satchel slung over my shoulder, and now my lower back is letting me know it was not happy about any of it.  It's been building a nice ache all day and is just now getting back to manageable.  Man...no wonder they say getting old ain't for sissies.  NOT easy.  Plus crap like this makes me cranky and lowers my tolerance for the bullshit going on in the world.

For example, I'm finding there's a new type of solicitation going on, aimed at screenwriers but may also be hitting on all people working in film and TV.  Somebody puts up an ad on craigslist or InkTip or something like that, seeking scripts...and if you contact them they come up with a line of how they're offering a new screenplay competition (enter for a $100 fee and if we get a thousand entries, we'll make the winner for $100K); or are one type of film company that's now "getting into producing with contacts for money" so will you let them use your script to see if they'll offer up some cash; or submit your script for a new posting on a new website so please fill in all this personal information.  It's irritating.  Just sharks preying on minnows.

I was a minnow, once.  Now I'm more of a crab...in every sense of the word.

Off to NYC on Thursday and still need to do laundry and ironing, and now I'm wondering if this job will wind up being anything worthwhile, at all.  It's not promising at the same time that it is.  Rather confusing.  So I may not be there the whole weekend.  Or I may...since there's a possible packing job just up the Hudson from the city.  If the guy's available for me to pick the books up.  And another one in Boston...if the guy's available for me to pick the books up.  All so iffy.

I got a new version of the cover for LD.  The cabin's the same, but something's been added that makes it all okay.  I can not only live with this one...I can be happy with it.  I'm feeling good about this book, now.  I just got done with chapter 12 and have 2 chapters left to rework.  Then I'll let it sit till I'm back from NYC and go over it, again, to make sure I haven't screwed anything up.  I do that sometimes.

2 comments:

WhaleProbe said...

I love your books, but that cover looks like the guy is decapitated. Unless that's the point?

JamTheCat said...

Wow...I hadn't even thought of that. I'll bring it up with the publisher. Thanks.