Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, June 13, 2011

We are not impressed

I watched "The King's Speech" this evening since I've got some buzzing going on in my brain and need it to sort itself out before I continue work on "Hunter."  Seems the beast of a story is now doing a one-eighty on me and I'm rather taken aback.  Especially after the ninety degree turn it took just a couple days ago.  If I make it though this story without whiplash, it'll be a miracle.

Anyway...the movie.  Well...Colin Firth was predictably good and the script was very tightly structured, but Best Picture?  Best Director?  Seriously?  For this journeyman work where you could see every beat in the story coming fifteen minutes prior to arrival and the camera was so badly placed half the time, I nearly screamed?  I guess the Academy had to take a breather after the cinematic intensity of "Slumdog Millionaire" and Hurt Locker".  But if I'd paid $12 to see this, I'd have felt cheated.

In that vein...I happened onto a festival in Toronto, where you submit the first 10 pages of your script and if you get selected, you get a staged reading.  It's backed by WILDsound and the Toronto Film Board and happens 4 times a year, if I understand this right.  For the hell of it, I sent in "Find Ray Tarkovsky"...and it's one of the finalists, out of how many, I don't know, but there there were over 200 submissions overall.  The top 4 are announced July 5th, when I'm in NYC. Then comes the last stage on July 30th...about the time I'd be leaving for Texas.  But since I'm driving, I can wait to leave.  Be a nice birthday present.

Oh...and I do have my own page with a short interview of sorts...well, more of a questions and answers kind of thing.  http://www.wildsound.ca/kylemichelsullivan.html  Makes me happy...and feeling a bit irreverent.

This just in...Star Books Press wants to publish "The Lyons' Den".  They sent me a contract.  I haven't really read over it, yet -- hell, I only got it half an hour ago -- but it sounds more promising.  Now I need to talk to my current publisher and let him know.  This will prove interesting.

Oh, for God's sake, Kyle.  LIFE is interesting.  At least, that's what they tell me.

No comments: