Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Interesting reactions to my work...

A couple of my books -- "How To Rape A Straight Guy", "Rape In Holding Cell 6" and "Bobby Carapisi - The Complete Novel" -- have been getting some interesting comments in a Goodreads.com reading group.

People either love HTRASG or loathe it. I actually had one reader tell me I should never write anything ever, again, thanks to this book...and not nicely. However, a lot of other readers loved it or were shaken by it. Consensus seems to be that I made an evil man understandable and someone worth caring about...and they're shaken at how they felt for Curt. Cool.

RIHC6v1&2 has been getting more consistent praise, but not to the same level as HTRASG. It's more, good but not as good as his first book. Which I don't mind. Antony's story is a bit more far-fetched and James Bond-ish, in the second volume. But they still reacted to Antony's growing psychosis and his love for Jake.

What surprised me was the reaction of one guy to BC-Complete. I know he bought it through Kindle, and is probably the one person who returned it. He gave it one star and dismissed it, completely. That stung, because I don't think he got that the story was being told by three different men. Meanwhile the other person who read it gave it four stars, even though she didn't read the full book. That feels weird. I mean, I appreciate the rating, but I feel it's a bit of a cheat, like I didn't really earn it.

I read a book that was highly recommended by many in this group and didn't like it very much,so didn't finish. But I didn't rate it, either; I didn't feel that'd be fair.

Still...what I find especially interesting is NOBODY has rated "The Lyons' Den" or "NYPD Blood" on this site. And those are my most mainstream books. Maybe my niche is "in-your-face-asshole-ishness" and when I try to be kinder and gentler, I get boring.

What I am taking away from this is how honest I can be with Brendan in "Place of Safety". Even confrontational in the story. It's better for me to let that run than to try and sanitize it.

Or maybe I just joined forces with an army darkness who only appreciate death, destruction, and damned mean people.

No comments: