Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, May 3, 2013

Ping pong...pong ping...

It's amazing how easy it is to bounce back and forth between certainty of ability and certainty of failure. Like a ping-pong ball that just won't stop hopping.

It helps that the end of the week is here and I can sleep in, tomorrow and Sunday. I hate getting up at 8am. My brain doesn't kick into gear until nearly eleven, so I have to take extra care with any decision I have to make before then. The fuzziness can easily lead to the wrong choice.

Or just forgetfulness. Or confusion as to what I've done and what I haven't. I'm sharper in the evening -- my prime writing time is 4 to 8 or 9pm. It's the same with my art; I always worked best in the late afternoon and early evening.

Maybe that started because of school. 4 is when I'd get home, unless I was working, which I started doing at 16. Then I'd ignore my homework and read or draw till dinner. And also, most of my jobs were 9-5 deals, so evenings is when I'd have a chance to write or sketch.

One of those habits you don't really think about until it's so entrenched in you, it can't be broken.

Zeke did change his name...his last one. He's now a Lindstrom and has Nordic runic symbols and letters as tattoos. And he's a bit more centered, somehow. There's a scene between him and Carli that I initially wrote with her being a wise-ass and him trying to play peacemaker, but it got flipped in a way. He just wants thinks to be even and cool, and he gets pissed when someone threatens that balance, like Carli starts doing.

I think I'll take another pass through it and post it, tomorrow. See if it works on my blog as well as in my brain.

You never know...

No comments: