Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Way over 100K in words...

"The Vanishing of Owen Taylor" is taking on a form that makes it more than just a mystery. It's found its voice and its meaning and made them completely obvious to me. My role in this is now to make it work and be told in a way that conveys everything it wants to say.

Jake lounges on my shoulder like a casual cat, purring in my ear when I let the story do what needs to be done, and digging in his claws when I don't. (BTW, this photo is not of me; I was never that cute...or young...)

But it's unfolding, now. I've reconstructed all I lost and probably done better with it. Jake's voice was getting to be too soft; but that's been changed.  I just need to keep his vernacular consistent -- ie. no softening phrases like "seems to" or "a bit like" or such. He don't say more than he needs to.

Another character's taken on a life of her own, and suddenly I don't know if she's on the side of the angels or devils or both. Guess I'll have to see it played out.

On a side note (a very non-Jake phrase) -- I contacted a friend of mine who illustrates childrens' books and talked with him about doing some work for "David Martin". He likes the story and is interested. And he's cutting me a deal on his rate. His work is much cleaner than mine, so I'm going for it. My goal is to have the book out and available by Thanksgiving.

Here's hoping...

No comments: