Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Brendan calling...

UPDATE: Spoke too soon. Looks like the deal to buy the German library's off. Seems the Germans have developed this habit of agreeing to one price then upping it at the last minute, saying they never agreed to that price in the first place. If they don't come to terms, no second trip. This is what I get for opening my big mouth.
-----------------------------
We just got a second packing job in Germany, today, but this one's not till the middle of next month. So I'll be heading over there, again. I'm going to make sure there's time for me to visit a friend in Bremen, this time, if at all possible...but here's the big deal about it.

I was planning to take the last two weeks of August off, meaning no salary. I have savings enough (actually, the money I'm putting aside for taxes) but now I'll be getting paid for at least one of those weeks...and it dawned on me I could route this to where I can spend the last week of August in Ireland and hit the newspapers and archives in Belfast and Derry. There's a Best Western in Derry where I could use the points I've racked up instead of paying for a room. What I'd have to pay is the premium on the air fare, because the only way I can do this is to one-way it Germany then Ireland then home.

But it's like Brendan's given me a sign -- "get off your arse and fookin' do it!"

So I am. And fuck the money. This is almost like a windfall, and it's the closest I'm getting to doing this till I'm past retirement age...

I need to verify some things, tomorrow, but if it's a definite yes, I'm booking my tickets.

Of course, this took the whole evening, so Jake's miffed I didn't do anything with OT. I'll deal with that on my flight, Saturday, and remind him I'm stopping over in De Gaulle, to check the place out since his story begins there.

No comments: