Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

It's all worked out on OT...

All I have left to do is the actual writing. But It finally hit me as to why Antony's been pushing Jake away, and why they had their blow-up. And how even the beginning, which seemed a bit slow in getting started, works into the ending in a way that startled me. I just hope I can do justice to it.

Initially, I'd intended to have nearly a year pass between the point where Jake figures it out to where he reveals the truth. His whole intent was to punish someone partially responsible for the events...but that's ended. When I did the restructuring, that gave him the impetus to go into annihilation mode, right then and there. So he's about to show Antony what bat-shit crazy is all about, but he's doing it with a cold calculation.

In Exodus comes one part of the bible that everybody seems to agree on -- "But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe." Well...that's about to be Jake's mantra.

I'll need to go back through this to make sure it builds properly to that issue. And I also need to add a moment earlier to better set up the ending. So I figure it'll wind up just over 100K in wordage.

I'm self-indulgent with my words.

I doubt I'll get much done, tomorrow; I've got to get ready for a week in NYC packing books. But I'm traveling down and back on the train, which has power so I can work on my laptop as we go. This ain't gonna be an easy pair of jobs, but I don't care. It's me on my own doing what I like to do.
And I am having fun being Adam on his facebook page. I did a quick glance through it before sending it off to a producer in LA, and for once I did little more than clarify a couple of points and changed one thing to give the ending more impact.

Casey's mother has swapped a less-expensive Appelton edition of the "Alice..." with what she thinks is an invaluable presentation copy. The cheaper book is in a snap case (meaning the front opens from the center and snaps shut when you close it) while the valuable copy is in a clamshell case (which opens like a clam's shell). The snap-case is destroyed by the jet's engine, so everyone thinks the book is destroyed.

But when he was in the lavatory, Adam accidentally pulled down a box of tissues; later, he pulls that box out of his rucksack...and inside it is the invaluable presentation copy of the "Alice..." wrapped in a pair of Orisi's briefs.

Then once he's left alone, he puts the presentation copy back in its original clamshell box and says, "Now you're home."

My hope is people will catch the reference to his father, who never made it home from a trip that involved another copy of the Alice '65.

No comments: