Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Keep moving forward

One thing I've found out about writing is, if you keep pushing at a story long enough, it will begin to work with you. Not just the characters, but the story, itself. It begins sending you suggestions that something is needed here to keep the flow right, something else is wrong here if you want to maintain clarity, consider this road instead of that one.

Sometimes this is in direct contradiction to what the characters want, but then they see it's right and adjust their thinking. Then they bring fresh ideas to the whole scenario. No question writing is a collaboration, just not necessarily with living people.

Damn, I wish I'd thought of that when I was working on LD and put it in; it's such an Ace line.

I spent a little while, today, going over the notes I have for OT, ticking off the ones I'd used or discarded and clipping the ones I think may still fit the story together so I won't forget them. I've got another stack set up for "Carli Kills". I may get back to that once I have this draft of OT done. Emphasis on "maybe." I never know what I will work on when my current project is done.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I'd concentrated on a single type of screenplay or story for all the years I was writing. Would I have would up as the Steven King of film, with dozens of horror or suspense thrillers to my credit? Been typecast like Alfred Hitchcock or Wes Craven? It might have been better for my pocketbook. I enjoy writing those types of scripts, and I have done more of those than any other genre. Even my early narrative writing was geared towards things like serial murders and insane killers.

Instead, I built a world of imaginary friends from all walks of literature -- drama, suspense, tragedy, crime, biography, alien horror, supernatural horror, comedy, suspense, you name it. I have an extended family that would make the Irish and Italians look like minimalists when it comes to aunts, uncles and siblings. Maybe I'm closer to a Daniel Bettancourt mentality than I care to admit.

I've ended the ads on facebook. They brought me plenty of "likes" for LD and BC, but not much in sales and were becoming a drain. Oh, well...at least it's a tax write-off because I did get a little income out of it.

So...what's next?

No comments: