Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, July 12, 2013

Moment of serenity...

I was headed back to my hotel, last night, to do battle with more book packing. I'd just had a decent Shepard's Pie and an $8 (!!!) Guinness and was feeling merely bone tired. I missed an F train by 5 seconds -- it shut its doors just as I reached the top of the stairs -- so was huffing and puffing about how irritating that was with me being so tired and the world conspiring against me...when I heard music.

It was a prerecorded symphony concert coming from a boom box across the tracks on the downtown side of the 47-50th Streets station. An older man sat on some benches and the music was by him. There was a lull in the noise of trains and people...and then...

 He put a violin to his chin and began to play the loveliest melody. I've heard the music before but don't know the name, but it's definitely for a solo violin. And there was dead silence in that station for five minutes as he played. Trains didn't even come. It's like he knew exactly when to time it.
People stopped and watched and listened. Others, like me, took photos and some recorded it on their cell phones.

Mine isn't a good picture; people kept getting in front of me to see and experience, and I rushed to get a photo before he finished. I wish I'd thought to record it, myself.

But it was elegant, and I feel the need to share this moment of grace amidst madness.

Only in NY.

No comments: