Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Warning...writer venting to come...

It's been a nice rough and tumble couple of days, working and fighting and wrestling with Carli's Kills. The damn story doesn't want to be a book; it wants to be a screenplay. I'm trying to get it told and it's refusing to let me even consider a way to adjust it into novel format.

Problem is, no one wants my screenplays. I've got thousands of rejection notes -- both printed and e-mailed. Here's just the latest:
Thanks for your query. This isn't quite what I am looking for.Good luck with your writing.Sincerely,
Jay Rodriguez
Itchy House Films

I got it while I was in Lisbon (and also found out The Cowboy King of Texas did not make the final cut in Emerging Screenwriters).

I've hit people seeking screenplays and screenwriters on Mandy.com and through ISA and using Craigslist (that's a laugh) and via InkTip and on and on...and they all say pretty much the same thing: "Thanks but not what we're looking for." Ever. At all. Can't even get an agent to do the selling for me (though I am waiting to hear back from one who was willing to read a script of mine to see if they're willing to rep me).

That's why I'm shifting to novels; I don't want to die with my stories unseen or unread or unavailable once I'm gone. But this little bitch of a story won't work with me, and is driving me nuts. Not the same kind of nuts as with ...Owen Taylor; that was a seeking the story kind of craziness. No, this one...I know the story now. But it won't let me tell it in a narrative form. It wants me to do a script. And storyboard it. All the way through.

WTF is that all about -- my own private madness?

No comments: