Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Next bit of Carli's Kills...

I know I said I was done posting CK, but...this is after Zeke closes the cantina and sits with Loki.
--------------------------
EXT. NARROW CANYON - DAY

Tall and winding. Carli follows the sound of a GUITAR playing “Romance de Amor”. She finally finds a cool college kid -- PAMELA MARTINEZ, 20’s, the epitome of a budding punk-rock star -- in a corner. Beside her -- a tablet and mike.

She stops and takes a hit off a joint.

CARLI
Is that necessary?

PAMELA
-- Sometimes.

CARLI
That melody -- something you wrote?

PAMELA
Naw, it’s one of Charo’s staples.

CARLI
Charo?

PAMELA
Guchi-guchi-girl? Married Xavier Cugat when she was seventeen? Or sixteen. Or fifteen.
(off Carli’s look)
My music techniques professor brought her up as an example of image versus ability. She comes across as a dumb-ass blond goof, but when she plays -- perfection. Electronics work okay?

CARLI
Yep. Dax owns the Sheriff.

PAMELA
Or the other way around.

Carli shrugs in agreement.

CARLI
Something else. Zeke Lindstrom wasn’t involved in Lara’s rape.

PAMELA
You so sure?

CARLI
He’s missing a leg, and none of the guys on the video are. So we have Dax, JJ, Spit and Grady. Who was number five?

Pamela looks in a notebook.

PAMELA
There was a guy who used to be part of the gang. Word is, he quit before...before Lara. Maybe my dates’re wrong.

CARLI
Could there be another bartender?

PAMELA
Dunno. The campus queens only moon over big, bad, beautiful Zeke.

CARLI
College girls who go to that bar are your sources?

PAMELA
What’m I supposed to do? Walk up to Mr. Hot Tatts and say, Hi, I’m Pamela. Did you help your buddies gang-rape my girlfriend on your pool table?

CARLI
Okay, okay.

PAMELA
-- Did you know Anastasia Greene killed herself?

CARLI
-- Karma’s a bitch.

PAMELA
How bad’s it gonna get, Carli?

Carli just looks at her. Pamela takes another hit on the joint. Her hand shakes.

CARLI
Does that really help?

PAMELA
Sometimes.

She offers the joint to Carli.

CARLI
I have other ways of channeling my grief.

PAMELA
Yeah. I thought you’d say that. I, uh...I’ll do some more digging. See if I can find out who else might’ve been there. That night.

CARLI
You’ve already done enough, Pam.

PAMELA
No, I haven’t. If I had, Lara’d still be alive.

CARLI
We’re going to get them, Pam. Every one of those bastards.

PAMELA
I know. I know. Bit...

She takes another hit. Her hand still shakes.

No comments: