Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Wow...Carli's mean...

Is it possible for a hero to love causing death and destruction? I watched the first season of Dexter, the series about a serial killer who only kills other serial killers...of which Miami apparently had more then enough to keep him happy...but it didn't hit me right, so I didn't watch any more seasons' worth. But now I've got Carli whispering, in a moment with Zeke, that she liked killing Grady. And what that means is, it gave her a sexual charge.

She's getting that with Zeke, too, because when they finally hit the bed, she all but rapes him. I made a joking reference to her being an Amazon in the first draft of this script; looks like it got taken to heart. She's gonna be as good as any warrior, no matter what.

This is something that makes me happy about being a writer -- and freaks me out -- and confuses me. I know in my head and heart that what's going on the page are aspects from within me...but at the same time, deep in my soul I know that can't be true.

For example, I've never been to prison or sold drugs or raped anyone, like Curt does in How To Rape A Straight Guy. Plus Curt's married and talks about sex with his wife, while I've never even been with a woman. Came close once...but that's it. Yet his story is told in the first person.

So where does this come from -- Carli loving the idea of death to the point it gives her a thrill? That's a serial killer's attitude. A sociopath's. And yet, she's the hero...or heroine, whichever.

Maybe I should watch the rest of Dexter...or go into therapy.

No comments: