Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, October 23, 2015

Close is good...being there is better...

Okay...after a lot of head banging I had an idea on how to rework the story so it makes sense. I added a victim, moved the location of another character, and changed some of Antony's argument with Jake at the end...and it began to shift into place. What's even better, I'm still trimming back and simplifying. Much to my amazement.

The book's down to 512 pages but still right about 116,000 words. Comes from shifting paragraphs around to make the reading easier. I'll need to make another pass through it to align the set-up with this new-ish ending...but I'm finally getting there. Again.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get the story done eventually. I know Jake would be happy for that. It has changed a lot from its inception. I think most of what happens is organic to the characters, but I can't say. After a while, you just have to let go and accept whatever reactions you get. I just want to be sure I've done my best before I let my baby out into the real world.

There be lions out there, you know...

No comments: