Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Drive from NYC to Buffalo...

I decided since I was wandering whether I wanted to or not, I'd document a bit of my travel...

This is the park right by I-80, where you're about to cross into Pennsylvania. I finally got some decent Fall colors...

This shows a hint of the Delaware Water Gap. I posted photos of the river a few years back, the first time I drove through en route to NYC. It was easy to get onto the freeway and head on. Not if you're going in the other direction. I went left instead of right, as is typical for me...but had a nice leisurely trip through some lovely country.
I drove down a narrow twisting road that took me next to this stream, into which I pissed instead of fished, since I never been fishin' and the stream's too shallow for anything interesting to catch.
Obviously, this one-lane bridge is no longer in use. I was on Old Mine Road at this point, headed north -- soon to learn a bridge I wanted to cross was closed and I had to go farther north.
This is a rest stop south of Syracuse on I-81.

It took me 8.5 hours to drive what is normally a 6.5 hour trip, an hour of that due to sitting in traffic on the 80 by the Delaware River. I'm actually sort of glad I didn't get back on the freeway there.

BTW, GPS sometimes tries to get you lost. There was one point where it told me to turn left onto a park road, but I couldn't; it was blocked. It wasn't a real road and would not have been good for the Suburban I was driving. I looked later, at a map, and there's not even a bridge there. I finally see how some people wind up driving down stairways when blindly following the voice in their phone.

That, or the NSA is out to get me because I'm a Liberal...

No comments: