Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Less is more...

The first two sections of OT are set, and I've cut them down to 231 pages and under 54,000 words...mainly by just eliminating repetition and moments where Jake tells us what's going on, even though it's obvious. If I keep doing this through the next two sections, I may wind up with under 500 double-spaced pages and maybe 110,000 words.

Of course, I've added in a bit, as well, to increase the clarification, and the removal Jake's disapproval of one aspect of what Owen's done works a lot better. He was coming across as a bit too judgmental, and that is not what Jake should ever be...at least, not on something trivial.

The book fair went smoothly, and prepping the shipments, today, was done fairly quickly. I've been trying to keep to an east coast timeframe, so I got done just in time to have an early dinner at the airport. For some reason, I was craving a burger and fries. Fortunately, there's a Chili's here, albeit at the other end of the terminal, but it was worth the walk. Their avocado burger had sour cream, lightly seared peppers and caramelized onions, and was to die for.

My redeye's not for a couple more hours, and already it's posted as delayed twenty minutes. Not that I mind; the later I get into Boston, the later I get to my hotel and the easier it will be to get an early check-in...and nap. I can't sleep on a plane, just doze and that's not really enough. I shouldn't have any trouble getting up to Portland. And I'm hoping the leaves are really turning by now...if they haven't already and fallen off.

I'm not looking forward to this next job; it will be very physical with lots of stairs. But if all goes well I should be home in time, Wednesday, to get a good night's sleep. All depends on JetBlue.

Hmm...maybe I shouldn't have said that...

No comments: