Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Movie Therapy

The first time I saw a Hitchcock film in a theater, it was a double-bill of Rebecca and Notorious. I went back to my roots to get past the mood I'm in...and now I'm back on track.

I have Notorious on DVD, but you can see it all on YouTube. The scene on the balcony, where Cary Grant tells Ingrid Bergman what's expected of her, is one of the most subtly vicious moments ever in film. Because without saying it once, she's told by the man she loves she has to have sex with another man, and if she does, he will hate her but if she doesn't, she will let down her country...and the decision is hers to make. So no matter which way it goes, she loses.

Ben Hecht wrote the script...and it is damn near perfection.

No comments: