Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, November 6, 2015

Having fun with UG...

Underground Guy is being written without rules or limitations, and I'm having fun with it. There's sex and drugs; I think I need to work in some rock-n-roll to even it out. Needless to say, I seriously doubt NaNoWriMo's had anything like it in any of their challenges. Officially, I'm at 13,401 words on 53 pages.

I know the theme for the story -- control. Every character either has it or wants it or feels like they've lost it...and Devlin, the protagonist who's also the anti-hero/hero, is all of them at one time. He'll come to understand what's going on and figure out who the killer is because it so closely duplicates his own life. It's my fervent hope this works out organically and doesn't have some bright light moment, where the hero goes, A-HA!

This packing job turned out to be a lot easier than I expected, mainly because all the books are smaller than I thought they'd be. I was told the majority would be quarto sized -- about 10x7 inches -- but actually the vast majority of the hardcovers are more like small octavos -- about 8x5...or less. 700 of the books are regular paperbacks; I got all of those into 10 boxes, with padding. So it's working out that I've got double the packing materials that I need, and I'll be done tomorrow instead of Sunday.

Not that I mind. I think I'll stay in the hotel and work on UG. I've got a small fridge and microwave so have some nuke-able meals in the freezer and DP chilling. If all goes well during Monday's pickup, I'll have the afternoon to go exploring. It's pretty up here...but god help anyone trying to get around without GPS. It's like doing The Time Warp while driving on two-lane blacktops.

"It's just a jump to the left...and then a step to the ri-i-i-i-i-ight..."

No comments: