Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Damn the torpedoes...full speed ahead!

I took the leap and made a Kindle edition of The Vanishing of Owen Taylor. It's up on their page and I've begun to spread the word. I have to do everything I can to help the book; it hasn't been selling very well. I'm hoping this will assist, since Amazon has a near chokehold on e-book sales.

I'm also researching ways to market the book. Taking an hour a day to work on it. So far, I already do most of what they say to do -- have a website, blog, network -- but I'm falling flat on getting people to review it. Haven't got a one, yet, despite giveaways and queries and all the attendant nonsense. But I'm still working at it.

I'm doing this to learn how to better work the marketing on my next book...which will probably be a paperback of The Alice 65. Next month is National novel Writing Month, and I'm taking the challenge to make A65 into a novel. Dig more into Adam and Casey and Lando and the like. There's a lot to them.

Something else this is doing is helping me see more clearly into what is needed for Place of Safety...to my surprise. I have a good idea of the plotline, but it needs more to make it both meaningful and interesting. Brendan's wish to just live his life is great; it's just not a novel's worth of storytelling. At least, not this long of a novel. He's not exactly Candide...though that's a good place to start.

Another thing is, all of my contacts, now, are in the rare and antiquarian book business. Not really into the new book world, anymore, so they can't help much...though A65 is set in the antiquarian book world. Maybe I could send copies out to the dealers I know. And Book Soup does offer my books. Maybe I should contact them about a book signing when I'm going to be in town, next time.

I wonder how much advance notice they need?

No comments: