Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

And that's a no...

The artist turned down working on my book cover...which I can understand. He read through the book and he doesn't think his clean European style would mesh with it, but he made some very interesting comments and wants to suggest ways to help the cover convey the chaotic nature of the story. And it is all over the place, but deliberately so. I told him I'm open to any suggestions, so we'll see what he comes up with.

I'm back to thinking my initial idea for the cover is close to doing that. I mean, I've got a guy wearing an open shirt wrapped in a shower curtain holding a smoking pistol and a fistful of bearer bonds outside in the middle of a snowstorm, a WTF expression on his face. I just need to color it in and work out the positioning of the title. The back cover will be relatively easy; I already have graphite sketches of many of the players' faces and can use those...maybe...in the handle part of the key. Just add in a bit of color. We'll see.

Didn't get a lot done today, beyond more of the reformatting. My personal iPhone has gone nuts. I've only had it 8 months but it wouldn't turn on...and then it wouldn't stay on once it did turn on...or it wouldn't let me use the screen in any way. Last night it took half an hour to settle down so I could use it...and then it cut out in the middle of a phone call. Sprint repair couldn't do anything in store, even after trying a wide range of fixes, so it's on its way to the repair shop.

I've heard of this flaw in iPhones about the swipe chip messing phones up once they become loose, but mine had been updated to not use that to turn on. And like I said, it's only 8 months old. I haven't dropped it and don't put it in my pants pockets, so it hasn't bent. It also has a protective case around it. So if this is how the damn things work, I may drop the service and get a land line, again.

Return to analog seems to be the wave of the future.

No comments: