Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Sidetracked for the day...

I got official word the rights to The Lyons' Den are reverting back to me. I signed a contract and sent it off to the publisher, and soon as I get their signed copy, it's done. I can reissue it in a second edition with a different, hopefully better, cover. And make it less expensive.

I can't say anything bad about Starbooks Press. They bought my novella, Perfection, to publish in one of their anthologies, and they did pay me royalties on LD...in fact, I got my first check from them, and the book wasn't even published until April 2012, nearly 5 years after HTRASG. But the reality is, they're doing pretty much what I'm doing, just for other authors.

So now I can drop the ebook price to $1.99 and probably get the paperback selling for under $9.99. I just need to work up a kick-ass cover. I never was happy with the one they put on their edition, and they listed the book as erotica even though there's really nothing erotic about it...unless you count the main character running around wearing nothing but a shower curtain for 2/3 of the book.

That's what I did this evening. Start working up possible covers. Tried the bathroom and shower, since that's where Daniel has a huge argument with his fictional characters...but it's awkward in too many ways...and a bit obvious. I think I've settled on gathering the entire cast of characters around the fireplace in the main room. It has a staircase that goes up and around behind it, and Daniel spends a lot of time going up and down those steps.

But if I do a photo, that's going to be expensive. So do I work up something in art? And if yes to that, in what style and media? A Derwent pencil is what I normally use...and am most comfortable with...but I can't see it being a book cover. It looks too amateurish. Preliminary. Cheap. Do NOT want cheap.

I found an artist on tumbler whose style I love -- very graphic art and minimalism. I don't know if I can replicate it, and he has never answered one of my messages to him, so I don't even know if he'd do something on commission.

Maybe I should check Deviantart.com...

No comments: