Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Here we go...

I got the artwork and now have worked up a first pass on the cover. I would love to get some feedback on it...because it's not doing it for me...

Mainly because I feel like I'm doing something wrong with it. I like the art, and ZanVarin did exactly what I asked him to...but something feels incomplete. Like I'm missing a step, someplace, or a detail and it's screaming at me but I can't figure it out.

The artwork gives you a fair idea of what the story's about, but is it too big? Should I frame it smaller? Put it on the other side of a window? Get rid of the frame and bleed it off the edges?

The more I look at this mock up, the more I think I've arranged it wrong. The title is cute but not very easy to read. And the tag line at the bottom blends in too much. It's like it needs more black space...room to breathe...

I have to think about this. I don't want to negate the off-beat aspects of the artwork. But I need to do it just right so the cover doesn't come across as amateurish.

Ideas are very much welcome.

No comments: