Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

More waiting...

I was expecting to get the completed artwork for the cover of The Lyons' Den, today, but the artist begged for a couple more days. What'm I gonna say? "No, I want it now," and get something incomplete or half-assed? I know how hard art can be. Sometimes it just happens and sometimes it takes a while. So long as I have it by this weekend, I'm fine.

I've set LD up to publish as an e-book on March 1st and just need the cover image to make it complete. Then I'll pull the paperback together and have that going within the next week. It helps that the book had already been published, once, so I've got everything in order, already. The price is set at $10.99 for the paperback and $1.99 for the ebook.

I'm also trying to think up a good idea for the cover of The Alice '65. I'm starting early in the process so I can make it happen better. And maybe cheaper. I dunno...Zan's a great artist but I don't think he'd be right for that book. My first thought is -- upper body of Adam in the suit he wears to the premier, holding a copy of the book, his glasses and hair askew and tie undone, Casey's head propped up on his right shoulder, smiling, her eyes turned to him, with Gertrude, the black panther, nuzzling him on his left side.

I need to get back onto that book. Soon as I finish this beta read, which is going very slowly, I will. I'm 1/3 of the way through it and now know the main issue to contend with is the writer having two separate novels slammed into one -- a fantasy about a teenage girl whisked away to another world where she is destined for greatness, and the drama her grieving father and brothers are going through back home. First goal is to break those apart...and dispense with a sub-plot where the whole story is being told by an observer to his son.

Fortunately, that is one problem I've avoided in all my books...so far.

No comments: