Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

The print file is done...

Did my last pass through The Alice '65 and a spell check, and now it's as tight and complete as it can be. So I shifted it to a PDF format, as required, and for some reason even though I'm saving it in black and white there's ICC color codes embedded in it. I tried a dozen different ways to remove them but got nowhere. When I check Ingram's PDF preview, very letter has a red background, so there could be ghosting of the letters when they print. NOT what I want.

I did a search through Google and tried a few more things, but nothing worked. So...I'm going to try removing the color crap in a PC, tomorrow, and see what happens. After that, I got no idea how to handle it...but I do NOT want to submit a file that may wind up being crappy when printed. I may have to wait till Monday to talk with someone at Ingram and find out another way to do it.

Thing is, I'm leaving for Louisville on Monday afternoon and really wanted to have the book started on its journey before I headed out on this next series of jobs. It's irritating that for all the snazzy crap my computer is capable of, every trick I'm told it can pull does not do what they say it will.

One of them was -- do a save as...but my MacBook pro doesn't offer that as an option in Preview; I have to duplicate then do a save to get to where I can change the Quartz filter. Then I tried B&W and Gray Tone and even Create Generic PDFX-3 Document...and none of them removed the ICC.

Damn, it's been a long day, and I am beat...but for all this crap, I'm happy with the book. Basically. I could easily spend the next 5 years honing it, but that would be ridiculous. Adam and Casey are ready to face the world, and I am ready to let them.

If only my fucking overpriced asshole of a laptop would let us.

No comments: